Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Network: This movie used to be fiction

Made in 1976 (that makes it 2 years older than me!), Network is the story of Fox News.  Well, maybe not exactly that.  It's about a reputable news anchor who looses his cool and starts ranting uncontrollably on TV.  He coins the phrase "I'm mad as Hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore!"

Everyone thinks he'll be fired, but it turns out (no surprise to us in 2011) that bile-filled invective makes for grea ratings, and he becomes a phenom.  Corporate media intrigue follows.

Although it no longer seems so implausible, this Oscar winning drama continues to hold up well.  I watched it for the first time only recently, and I very much enjoyed it.  I can't exactly imagine what it would have been like in 1976, but I expect it was astonishingly good then.  B+

No comments:

Post a Comment